Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Wise Man's Fear (Patrick Rothfuss)

It's difficult to write about a sequel, especially one as excellent as Patrick Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear. The companion to The Name of the Wind continues the story of Kvothe, an extraordinary young man who grew up to become a living legend in his own time. In the present time, Kvothe runs an inn, playing the role of mild-mannered innkeeper. A man called Chronicler comes in and demands Kvothe's true story. So, Kvothe tells of his birth into the Edema Ruh--a group of traveling troupers--and his eventual journey to the University and his adventures. This chronicle began in The Name of the Wind and continues in this book.

Both The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear are fantastic. The world is engaging, with rich details. The culture of the places are incredible and well-thought out. I greatly enjoyed the characters in the beginning, and I loved the development of some of the secondary characters--mostly Kvothe's friends--in this book. Even though both of these books are impressively lengthy epics, they are utterly engaging. I found myself staying up far later than I should have just so I could read a few more pages. Unfortunately, perhaps staying up until 3 a.m. was not prudent. The loss of sleep was totally worth it. I can't wait for the third book.

No comments:

Post a Comment